- A mixed race Disney princess
- A film in which the lead character is gay and the movie is not about that at all
- More respect for the arts
- Less pressure to make money
- Happier people
- Less news on celebrity
- An end to world hunger
- A flying car
Julie Andrews & Dick Van Dyke
Mary Poppins Premiere - Saving Mr. Banks Premiere
Post with 1 note
This morning almost turned into the morning where I broke all the things in my apartment over some inane thing that barely matters: no water in the fridge. One of my room mates took the water bottle I specifically put in the fridge to have cold and ready for my day today and one of them not only took it but then failed to replace it. And I hate that! They had to have known that they didn’t put it there so it clearly wasn’t for them BUT for whatever reason they decided to take it. This sort of thing would normally eat away at me for hours and I would blow up about it and being in a state of bewildered rage over a water bottle. A water bottle!!!
Then I remembered what a privilege it is to drink bottled water. But why stop there: how about just having access to water whenever I want it constantly no matter where I am? How about the fact that both of my room mates just got done working a 12 hour shift in a hospital where there jobs are to keep people alive and one mistake could be quite costly? My limited, and somewhat selfish, perspective of how not having cold water would ruin my day is insane. What am I really mad about? I guess I am mad that I never see my girlfriend anymore because of her crazy work schedule and when I do, she is exhausted and grumpy, as anyone would be who worked like that. I guess I am angry because I have to wake up at 5:35am everyday in order to be at work at 6:45am and no one ever unlocks my door for me so I have to stand outside like a loser until 7:20am. I suppose I am pissed off because I am 25 and constantly broke. I would safely assume that my rage is founded in the fact that my life isn’t what I thought it would be and I’m diss appointed in myself.
But I have running water. I have a girlfriend who agreed to marry me. I have a job that is all about helping teenagers. Maybe I don’t have a cold water bottle and it’s okay if it bugs me but I really do have so much.
I think I am emotional today over the loss of Nelson Mandela, a man who was stuck in a cell for most of his life and did not let that limit his dreams of equality.
I don’t want to be my own limitation. Must learn to think about what truly matters, what I am capable of, and accept what is out of my control and be at peace with that.
Room temp. water is just fine, spaz.
Post with 1 note
Let’s take the Christ out of Christmas and everybody have a good time.
I am so tired of people pretending that Jesus is the reason for the season. If you are a “true Christian”, he is the reason all the damn time. Duh. The concept of Christmas is not religious anymore, so let it go.
Also, if you truly believe that baby Jesus in the manger was born on December 25th and that is a fact for you, I can’t help you.
Guys, happy holidays.
Are you Team Peeta or Team Gale?
Who was like “okay this time round we’re not subscribing to that crap when we talk to the press” because so far every interview has been great for this
With the beard he looks kinda like my friend Matt…except 20 times hotter…and Matt is super hot.
Also, great answer…
And He’s Super Hot
And I love the way they refuse to let this story be framed like Twilight.
20x Super Hot
I mean…exactly. There is no team Peeta or team Gale. It’s team Katniss. It’s “lets all be a Mockingjay for the win”
I saw Catching Fire and I really loved it—more than the first movie, maybe even more than the book—but I am still hoping that Katniss will kick both Gale and Peeta to the curb and shack up with Johanna. #TeamJohanna
But fo real
Post with 2 notes
Despite being quite young I have felt quite old since I was 18 and had back surgery. I have sighed and moaned and iced and heated as if I have spent a life time doing manual labor for ridiculous wages…but no… It was seven years ago that I had disk replacement and a spinal fusion which changed my life, my walk, and my decision making. I can’t believe how much pain I’m still in and how this pain is actually better than the pain prior to my operation. I can’t believe how I have to constantly question the weight of everything I might have to pick up so I don’t have to pay for it for a week after the fact. I’m getting older and hopefully wiser and now the idea of having children some day has been on my mind…can I even do that? Should I? Will I safely be able to pick up my child, put them on my shoulders, swing them in the air?
I guess I won’t know until I try.
TYPHOON HAIYAN RIPS THROUGH CENTRAL PHILIPPINES
Typhoon Haiyan is a Category 5 storm, the strongest typhoon of 2013 and said to be the “most powerful ever” to make landfall (with winds near 195-200 mph). Perspective: Superstorm Sandy was at 95mph when it hit New Jersey; Hurricane Katrina at 129mph when it hit land.
- Pre-emptive evacuations affect more than 161,000 families or more than 790,000 people in 37 provinces
- Typhoon Haiyan as seen from space
- Haiyan makes 6 landfalls - it affected an island chain in the central Philippines, making landfall in six islands. It gained wind power as it traversed through waters in between.
- Haiyan traverses areas affected by magnitude 7.1 earthquake - The earthquake left more than 200 dead dead on October 16; 1000 injured; 350,000 displaced. The survivors have been living in tents and evacuation areas. It passed through Leyte, Samar, Cebu (2.5 million residents), among others—some of which are the poorest provinces in the country.
- 100 people killed in Tacloban — first estimate of casualties in the city reported today, November 9. Because the communication lines are down, the news centers have yet to take stock of the full extent of the damage. But the numbers are still expected to rise. The devastation was described as if a tsunami had wracked through it.
- 2:03PM 11/9: An estimated 4 million people have been affected by the typhoon
- 4:20PM 11/9: 90% of Baco Town in Oriental Mindoro flooded
- 4:55 PM 11/9: Bodies still scattered in Leyte as Visayas in shock
- 5:19PM 11/9: Negros Occidental under a state of calamity
- 7:34PM 11/9: Local officials expect the number of bodies found in Tacloban to reach 500
- eta: 7:45PM 11/9: Iloilo and Palawan declare state of calamity
- eta: 8:04PM 11/9: Update: 134 reported dead
- eta: 8:30PM 11/9: Thousands homeless in Ormoc, Leyte
The victims need all the help they can get. Cities have been leveled, buildings made of concrete were destroyed by strong winds and storm surges. Communications have yet to be reestablished in most of the areas affected by the typhoon. The full picture left behind by Haiyan has yet to be established yet the devastation reported on television is already extensive. The government is bracing for large-scale relief operations. Virtually 1/3 of the country has been ravaged by this natural disaster. And we need help.
HOW THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY CAN HELP
- donations via the Philippine Red Cross (including PayPal)
- donations via Habitat for Humanity
- donations via ANCOP Foundation USA
- eta: donations via UNICEF Philippines
FOR THOSE IN THE PHILIPPINES
- text donations via Globe
- Red Cross and DSWD relief operations (infographic)
- list of ongoing relief operations via Rappler
- donations via ABS-CBN News
- eta: relief operations via University of the Philippines
- eta: relief operations via the Department of Education
- eta: pick-up locations for donations via Air 21
HOW TO FILE FOR MISSING PERSONS
Please reblog and add other details I might’ve missed!
Post with 2 notes
I think I am going to start making my grocery list with extreme detail as to how I imagine we ran out of specific items.
- Iced tea lemonade with the black lid that you totally drank the last of even though you knew I would want it after work
- Cookie dough ice cream that you left two pathetic bites of so you didn’t have to throw the pint container away and feel regret and guilt, you bitch
- 90 calorie Dr. Pepper that keeps mysteriously disappearing even though I am the only one who allegedly likes it…bullshit
- Cheese bread that you blamed a mouse for eating because you’re insane
I want a movie where Nic Cage plays Miley’s dad. No, wait, I want that to be REAL life.
Page 1 of 42